Wednesday, October 24, 2007

A New Adventure!

As much as I REALLY wanted this blog to be about my non-job-related adventures, I find that my job has become the main part of my adventure. For those reading along at home here's the real skinny on what's been happening behind the scenes:

I arrived a month and a half ago with the knowledge that "My Company" was under sanctions from the government for false advertising. These sanctions stopped the company from accepting new long-term contracts (the company's bread-and-butter.) However, short-term contracts were still available, and the company was doing okay. Last month's pay (which was for July's work) to normal teachers (like myself) was on time, but the pay to our immediate bosses (managers) was late, also the Japanese staff didn't get paid. Later, the managers got paid, and, well the Japanese staff still came into work (they've working without pay.) This whole time wild rumors of takeovers and shutdowns have been running amok. There was almost no word from the top management as to the future of the company. Internet forums and news websites became the lead source of information (in-case you're wondering, NO, YOU SHOULD NOT TRUST WHAT YOU READ ON THE INTERNET!! *cough* Wikipedia, Googling for information, and reading forum posts *cough* there are a lot of people out there who hate "My Company" and wish for nothing but it's demise, these people will NOT feed you accurate information.) As there were only rumors floating around with no facts to back them up I continued to come into work and do my job as I was hired to. Two weeks ago we (at the schools) received a fax saying that our (my first) payday on Monday would be moved to Friday. At this point I was down to the last of my start-up funds, but managed to ride it out 'til Friday. As of Saturday morning we were still not paid. I made it into work one more time, Saturday, before my money ran completely out. I called in "sick" on Sunday because I couldn't afford a train ticket. Late Sunday my roommate pointed out that the ATM section of the Post Office was open on Sundays and I went to get some money from my savings back home. While in my time off Monday and Tuesday I updated my resume and sent in a few applications I still went into work. At some point, I figure, even if I have to sue for it, they will pay me for time worked. Monday we got a fax saying we would be payed "on an approximate target date of Oct. 25." Today, Wednesday, is my day off, as is tomorrow. If I do not receive any pay before Friday I will call in "sick" until the company goes down (which should be shortly after, if that comes to pass.) Why not quit you ask? Easy, "My Company", for the time being, puts a roof over my head. As much fun as living under an underpass with the Japanese homeless would be (hey, I'd get to use my Japanese!) I think living in a heated apartment with running water, a refrigerator, and a shower wins out... for now.

I started looking/applying for jobs on Monday. Hopefully I'll find something reasonable soon. Luckily I have a slight advantage over most of the other 3,999 teachers from "My Comapany" who are all looking for jobs in that I can speak Japanese.

And so, with that, I guess my adventure enters phase two: the job hunt. I will, of course, update as things progress. If all goes well I'll be back to posting about non-job-related Japan adventures soon. Until next time:

Jaa Mata Ne!

1 Comments:

At 3:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

vemgapukgood ruck. uncle doc

 

Post a Comment

<< Home